Catchy, isn't it? "Thank God for Sex" is the title of a new sermon series at a nearby church-- I got the flyer in my mailbox. Via the flyer, Mike L. reports: "Every Sunday I leave feeling inspired!" Well, who wouldn't? It's no trick to inspire a man to go have sex. Plus, this church of convenience has "loud music, short services, casual atmosphere". I am ready for their drive-thru menu next: will they have a value menu? super sizing?
"Our services are friendly and high-energy with loud music and dynamic multimedia. We laugh a lot, and the messages are always applicable to everyday life. You'll find people here who are friendly but not manic, spiritual but not obnoxious, people who don't take themselves too seriously, but want to make the most out of life."
I am not trying to pick on this particular church. I think it is just indicative of a larger problem; indicative of the attitude of many who call themselves Christians in America today.
"We laugh a lot and the messages are always applicable to everyday life"
Thanks, but I could sit on my couch in my more-comfy-than-casual-attire pajamas, turn on the TV and get the same.
"You'll find people here who are friendly but not manic..."
Well, that's good. Guess I can't fault them there. I don't necessarily want to go to church with maniacs, either.
"...spiritual but not obnoxious..."
Which definition of "spiritual" are they talking about? Most people would consider themselves "spiritual"; many of the same are going to hell. Most people find the claim of Christ to be "the Way, the Truth and the Life" and "no one comes to the Father but through [Him]" as very obnoxious. And not only obnoxious, but offensive.
"...people who don't take themselves too seriously, but want to make the most out of life."
I take my sin very seriously. My sin is my death penalty and there is no escaping it except that Christ took my sin upon Himself, becoming the curse, to be crushed by God the Father. I do not make light of Jesus' sacrifice and what He did for me by saving me from the wrath of God. I take it seriously. My life is not about "making the most of" unless it is lined up with God's will and purpose. Friendship with the world makes us enemies of God (read James 4). And that puts the fear of God in me.
God has not called us to be "PC" and cute: He has called us to be pure, holy and sanctified. This flyer makes me weep for the lost who think they are "saved". For the sake of modern-day acceptance, for politically-correct tolerance, this social club is possibly compromising people to hell. Godly love takes Godly fear. God loves these people and desires them to know Him on His terms--not ours--that they may be saved from His wrath and rewarded with eternity with God in heaven.
(Now that I have spewed off at the keyboard, maybe it is misdirected. I don't really know what kind of church this is: there is no mention of Jesus, or even the Judeo-Christian God.)
Ha! I'd just ripped up and threw away that church ad just five minutes before reading this. Call me manic, but I'm happy to be obnoxious and a little serious about my faith.
ReplyDeleteDid I sense just a wee bit of sarcasm in your comment....It's not hard to inspire a man to go have sex. LOL! We got one of their flyers earlier this summer and I couldn't help but think of the Creator of the Universe reading this flyer and wondering if you He would be impressed.
ReplyDelete