Monday, January 16, 2017

By Faith...

I love how honest the Bible is about its heroes.

The great faith hall of fame is littered with people living imperfectly, yet they lived "by faith". Hebrews 11-- wherein the Hall of Fame lies-- begins with the definition of faith: "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for."

There is nothing in that definition that places faith in ourselves, or even in our own obedience to God's call. They are not included on the list because of how perfect they were in showing their faith to Him--but they had faith in Him, recognizing that all they had, were, and accomplished was because God was faithful to them. And God was faithful through them.

God has called us all to live a life of faith and obedience. I have a stumbling, imperfect obedience, but the moment I say "yes" to God, I am saying yes to a Person more than just the calling. My yes is to God, knowing that following His lead in obedience is a work, but it is His work. I stumble, but He never stumbles or falls, so that means He is always ready to catch me and put be back upright.

Of course, in the context of God's call to embryo adoption, I love that Sarah is included in the Hebrews 11 narrative: "And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise." I am not past child-bearing age, but at 42/43, I am feeling closer than some of my younger sisters. God has reminded me of His faithfulness to Sarah. But what I LOVE about this passage is remembering Sarah's response when she heard the news. She laughed. And when God wasn't moving, she took matters into her own hands. Giving Hagar to Abraham to produce a son has produced a literal world history of regret. Do you see God's grace here? His grace in forgiving and forgetting commends her to the Biblical Faith Hall of Fame. Amazing grace indeed!

And of course this gives me hope, the hope in Hebrews 11:2, confident in faith of that which we do not see. Saying yes to God is so exciting and such an adventure. One I am sure that will be filled with my stumbling and faltered obedience, but God is there to keep picking me back up. The faith I have is that which God gives freely to me.

The Lord makes firm the steps
    of the one who delights in him;
 though he may stumble, he will not fall,
    for the Lord upholds him with his hand. Psalm 37: 23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment